Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Bula Vinaka Fiji, Part 1.5

October 10, 2016
Nadi, Fiji

On Monday morning, we packed up and set out for the next leg of our trip-an amazing island stay at the Barefoot Manta on Drawaqa Island, part of the Yasawa Island group. Everyone was pretty jazzed for the snorkeling and other beach adventures.

Fate, it turns out, had other plans. As we arrived at the marina, it was bustling with people grabbing luggage and loading up on a catamaran. It just wasn't our catamaran, the yellow Yasawa Flyer. The Flyer had already left port. We were only about 15 minutes late, but it was well on its way and trying to catch it was going to be $$$$$.

We took these pictures before we realized we weren't going anywhere that day...

Audrey is standing in front of the green blob where we were (Nadi) and the island we would eventually make it to is just above/beside Maggie's head. By the time we missed the boat, it was already at the first islands there, by Maggie's knee.

In spite of the disappointment, many things worked in our favor that day. Grammy and Grampy did an excellent job of securing two taxis to take us back to the Tokatoka (where Grammy and Grampy stayed the night before they picked us up from the airport), and they had rooms available!

Just as we settled into our nice, cinder block building rooms, the wind and rain started. And they didn't let up for the rest of the night. I cannot imagine being on a boat during that, even one as nice as the Yasawa Flyer*. Then, once on the island, we stayed in Bures, with soft sided tent walls...the Tokatoka was definitely the right place for us that night!

*We did hear from people on the boat next day, the usual 4 hour trip had taken about 6 hours, and everyone was very seasick. Bullet dodged. Er, missed.

We were all pretty tired still, and a night of downtime did us all good. The kids still took to the pool in the storm, and this time I even managed to get a picture of the slide. We also experienced a Shaver first (at least in my memory)-room service! We tried to eat the poolside restaurant, but it was too stormy, so they sent it to our rooms for us. Another unexpected perk, when we checked in we saw a sign for massages for $25 U.S.! That was an offer Grammy, Eric, and I couldn't refuse. As usual, you get what you pay for, but it was awesome.

The next morning it was still stormy, but we were up early and ready to go. We were not missing that boat again. It probably helped, and you'll notice, we didn't let the kids unpack or change their clothes from the day before.

There aren't many times that I've felt as much relief as I did when we finally sat down in the Captain's lounge of the Yasawa Flyer...

No comments: