Tuesday, December 29, 2015

18 Hours in the Magic Kingdom

Given our first fateful day at the Magic Kingdom, I was determined to get the most out of our second. We had scheduled a 7:30 a.m. breakfast at the Be Our Guest restaurant inside the park. I'd never been to BOG before, so this was one of the things I was most excited for. When you have a restaurant reservation, you are allowed to enter the park 30 minutes early. Presumably to give you time to get there. We used it as time for a ride. Or two.

View of the castle as we boarded the ferry about 6:55 a.m.:

BOG was fun, and definitely something to see and do once. I don't know if I'd kill myself to get back in. Again, we all made separate reservations, but had no trouble getting tables together. It was decorated just like the Beasts' castle, so seeing it was the best part.

This day at the park it was us, the Catmulls (plus Morgan), and the Sookhoos.

Our castle pictures were a total bust.

Somehow the Catmulls made it in to see Anna and Elsa...a prized ticket during this crazy week:

There were also visits with Ariel, Belle, and Buzz:

I think the ride we rode the most, though it'd be close with the Ariel ride, was Buzz Lightyear:

It was a good ride because it wasn't too "baby" or "girly" for anyone (read: Amos). It also wasn't too scary for anyone (read: Amos).

Amos was, not surprisingly, very hesitant about doing any of the roller coasters. The girls loved the Dwarves Mine Train, Space Mountain, and Splash Mountain. Amos wasn't up for any of it. We didn't push him, and finally, late in the day he said he thought maybe he could do Splash Mountain. I was so proud of him for working his courage up, but the poor guy was so worried I don't think he enjoyed it one bit. I am so glad he tried though. And I am so glad for this picture:

Maggie put her arm around him to comfort him! He didn't do the ride again, but he conquered the fear once.

The Tomorrowland Speedway was much more Amos' speed, and I rode that one with him again and again. Such a bumpy ride!

Late in the day we had plans to go home for naps, but rumors started to swirl that the park and parking lot were at capacity and if you left you wouldn't be able to get back in. So, we decided to tough it out. We found a quiet little spot for a history lesson:

We also did the Carousel of Progress, People Mover, and Monster's Inc. Laugh floor a good number of times. We had dinner at the Liberty Tree Tavern, and again it was another great family style service. Love it.

People moving:

About 11 p.m. the park started to empty and I overhead a dad tell his daughter: "If you can make it to this hour, disney world is your oyster." He was mostly right. It was still busy enough that the lines for the big attractions stayed hours long, but we walked onto most everything else. The Sookhoos had a good stockpile of buddy passes and Audrey, Maggie, and Eric finished the night doing rounds on Space Mountain. Amos wanted to do Pirates of the Caribbean, so I took him across the park and we did laps on that ride with cousin Drew. Maggie decided she wanted to join us (from Space Mountain across the park), and Eric made a mad dash there and back so he could keep doing Space Mountain with Audrey. It was nuts!

11 p.m. faces:

12:30 a.m. faces:

1 a.m. faces:

And then we'd come full circle with the castle looking just like it had when we'd arrived the day before.

It was 2 a.m. by the time we made it home, and to say we were spent would be an understatement. All we had to do was crawl into bed, but then the puking started again. Audrey puked all the way up the stairs to her bed :( While so glad she'd waited until we were home, blech! And we could have chalked it up to our crazy day and all those rides on Space mountain, but I don't think those things are contagious. By the time we were headed home about 80% of the group fell victim to the Ward bug.

No comments: