Sunday, May 12, 2013

Moving In

Backtracking just a little here...

We moved into our house on Monday, April 29.  The Saturday before, my parents, Anna, and Iva were in town for a quick visit.  They were such a big help in getting two of the kids' bedrooms upstairs painted (from Seahawk green).  The rooms aren't big, but I severely underestimated how long it would take the paint to dry in this wet climate...I never could have gotten it done without their help.

My favorite pictures from their visit:

Wardie was all over Iva trying to get her bottle.  Foot to the face and all.  They're going to be such cute little cousins.  I hope they get the chance to be close.

When moving day rolled around, the kids and I left the apartment in Bellevue at 7 a.m. to be to the house before the movers arrived at 8.  We made it in plenty of time. Especially because they were 3 hours late.  Grrr. 

When they finally showed up, they had three trucks and 11 crates of our stuff.  It was shocking how much stuff just kept coming and coming of the trucks.  We really don't need that much stuff...

One of the first things off the truck was Wardie's bumbo...he sure missed it!

They unloaded into the house all day, until the place was completely overwhelmed.  Then they headed home, and we headed back to Bellevue for one last night in the apartment.

Mag's is an apartment dweller like her mama:

Having the apartment to go to was a huge blessing, because the house was totally unlivable at that point.  I spent a month longing for all of my stuff, and now that I had it all back, I just wanted it to all go away again!

The next morning the movers returned again with two trucks and 4 more crates.  Gah.  

The kids were really good during all of the moving in.  It was like one big picnic for them.

When the movers finally left, I set about trying to find all of our stuff.  Unpacking the boxes was like unwrapping Christmas presents wrapped by some seriously drunk elves.  Stuff was EVERYWHERE.  I found pieces of one lamp in three separate boxes.  Before that experience, I would have guessed lamps only came apart into two pieces...

The highlight of the unwrapping had to be when I unwrapped some very carefully wrapped rocks.  Like, from our yard.  I am sure one of the kids had brought them into the house.  The movers aren't allowed to judge our belongings, so we're now the proud owners of some Utah rocks in Washington.

When all was said and done over 500 "items" (boxes, pieces of furniture, etc.) were left for me to deal with.  No wonder I have been so exhausted.  It is good to know that it only takes about a week to reach a normal-ish level of living again.  And that's with four "helpers."

I should also mention that the Relief Society presidency from our ward stopped by after the movers left.  They arranged for the kids to be watched two afternoons, for dinners, and for help unpacking.  How amazing is that?  For me, that week, the Relief Society quite literally, moved a mountain.


lizi said...

Glad to hear it went well. Love that you have some Utah rocks.

Annie H. said...

Ummmm, I am SUPER impressed. You're already moved in?? Dang girl! We've had all of our stuff at our new house since May 4th, and I have NOT unpacked everything yet. You win the prize!! (Wanna come visit and help me unpack the rest of the way??) :)